Where bowlers of all levels come together to talk about bowling ...    

Welcome to the Bowlers Den, where bowlers of all levels come together to discuss bowling.

Whether you are looking for help selecting the best bowling ball, assistance overcoming tough lane conditions, or are simply interested in conversing with others who share your love for bowling the den is for you!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access to our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Bowlers Den - Bowling Forum > The Lounge - All the Gossip > Bowling Centers

Old 10-02-2008, 02:17 PM
sowell

Default California - What happened to Pot Games?

Remember the days when many bowlers stayed after league to bowl pot games? Whatever happened to those days? It seems that even brackets are a dying breed. Bowling is BLAND when there is nothing ON THE LINE!!

So, lets liven up the game in the North San Diego County and start some old time wagering on the lanes.

See you on the lanes!
Old 10-03-2008, 03:03 PM
Gen_Pounder

My current league used to bowl pot games every 2-3 weeks. Then, it was only a couple of times a year. Now, no one wants to bowl afterward. The one time they did last year, they wanted their handicap and to bowl 9-tap. Seriously? Like I am going to give someone 30 pins and let them bowl 9-tap for money.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:04 PM
FROGLEGS

Default John,i'll Tell You What Happened To Pot Games

John,I ask myself the same question also"WHAT HAPPENED TO POT GAMES"?? I've got the answer. FOR ONE THING,TOO MANY 225-230 AVERAGE ONE HOUSE BOWLERS AND WALL BABIES WHO THINK THEY'VE GOT GAME,WON'T COME OUT AND BOWL FOR ACTION UNLESS IT'S"IN THEIR OWN HOUSE OR ON A WALL UP-CONDITION". When I bowled on the PBA Experience last year @ ACTION LANES/EL MONTE,we used to stick around and bowl pot games on that tough shot. The wall babies and house bowlers wouldn't even come down to bowl but,"THEY WOULD SURE ENOUGH BRAG ABOUT THE 300'S THEY SHOT THEIR IN LEAGUE OR AT ONE OF THE OTHER NEARBY CENTERS IN THE AREA. The game of bowling isn't what it used to be and neither are pot games. I know that OLD EASTLAND LANES IN COVINA,CAL USED TO HAVE POT GAMES ON FRIDAY & SAT NITES FROM 9PM TO 1AM IN THE MORN,FROM 1985 TO 1995. I knew a few bowlers that used to bowl them. Just back in Sept 2002 to March 2003,me,Steve Warren and about 8-10 other guys;used to get together on Friday nites and Sun nites from 9pm to 1am and bowl pot games at 2 different centes up here in San Gabriel Valley. I SAY TO THE PEOPLE WHO WANT TO BRAG ABOUT HOW GREAT THEY ARE IN THEIR HOUSE AND TALK ABOUT THE 220'S AND 230'S THEY AVERAGE IN THEIR ONE HOUSE,BUT WON'T GO BOWL POT GAMES OR BOWL ANYWHERE ELSE"SHUT THE HELL UP OR COME ON BOWL FOR REAL. THE BOTTOM LINE,IF ALL YOU EVER DO IS BOWL IN LEAGUES AND THAT'S PRETTY MUCH ALL YOU'VE EVER DONE IS BOWL LEAGUES"YOU AREN'T A REAL BOWLER". A real bowler will learn to adjust and can adjust to a variety of lane conditions and can bowl good consistently in a variety of different houses. I GET SO SICK AND TIRED OF THESE IDIOTS WHO TRY TO JUSTIFY THERE HONOR SCORES IN LEAGUE WHEN THEY'VE NEVER BOWLED A TOURNAMENT IN THEIR LIFE. One of these people is someone you know personally John, I'm not going to say his name;cause you asked us to not bash people on here. YOU KNOW WHO I'M TALKING ABOUT"ALICE THE GOON LOOK-A-LIKE FROM POPEYE. THE CRYBABY. I REALLY REALLY REALLY WISH POT GAMES AND HEAVY ACTION WOULD COME BACK TO BOWLING. The year after I got out the Marine Corps and went back to Buffalo,New York. I spent 3 nights a week sometimes bowling pot games for anywhere to $20 to $100 a man for a little while"NOW THAT'S SOME ACTION BRO". I KNOW IN GARDEN CITY,NEW YORK BACK IN THE 80'S AND EARLY 90'S,ARNIE GOLDMAN USED TO GET TOGETHER AND BOWL GUYS FOR ANYWHERE BETWEEN $750 TO $2500 A GAME STRAIGHT UP"NOW THAT'S EVEN BIGGER AND BETTER ACTION". People let's get with the program. John,I commend you for getting pot games together,sometimes after we get done bowling tournaments together.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:09 PM
FROGLEGS

Default Gen pounder I can RELATE

This past Wednesday night,I was bowling pot games against some of the guys that I bowl against;IN OUT PBA EXPERIENCE LEAGUE ON MONDAY NIGHTS UP HERE @ BRUNS MATADOR BOWL/NORTHRIDGE. This cute little blonde Shannon wanted us guys to spot her 40 pins handicap and I said"hell no". POT GAMES WERE MEANT TO BE SCRATCH. She bowled pots with these other guys before and they gave her some handicap. I don't think this is fair but,you know how some of these women are"SOME OF THEM THINK CAUSE OF WHAT THEY'VE GOT BETWEEN"YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN". They can do whatever they want to do and say whatever the hell they want to say"HUH IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY BRO".
Old 01-05-2010, 12:14 AM
charlies

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROGLEGS View Post
I KNOW IN GARDEN CITY,NEW YORK BACK IN THE 80'S AND EARLY 90'S,ARNIE GOLDMAN USED TO GET TOGETHER AND BOWL.

OMG, that guy has serious mental issues. Have you read some of his rants on the internet? its like, jeez, get a life dude...lol
Old 05-05-2010, 07:46 PM
billytops

Default Pot games and Action Match's

I started bowling in pot games at a very young age, 13.

We bowled pot games almost every day after school at Ave M Bowl in Brooklyn. Every Sunday morning there would be $10 - $15 dollar a man pot games across 6 lanes, 20 guys or so would be in them and this was in the 60s so $10 or $15 bucks a head was serious money.

The pot bowling led me into action bowling, head to head which was very big in the 60s and 70s.

Did any of you guys bowl any action match's, there's only one website that features the greatest action bowlers from the 1930s to present. http://www.ActionBowlers.com

A lot of the top pros were big time action bowlers, such as Mark Roth, Norm Duke, Pete Weber, Chris Barnes, Rudy Revs, Johnny Petraglia, Ernie Schlegel, Mike Limongello, and many, many, others.

If you think you would enjoy watching video stories about Action Bowling, check out this link...
http://actionbowler.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=abv
Old 02-27-2012, 06:31 PM
FROGLEGS

Wink He might have serious issues but let's give credit to where it's due

Charlies,Arnie Goldman might have issues and I heard he used to be a crack-addict. I am totally against drugs even pot,because I've never done it and I've never been drunk a day in my life. However,Arnie Goldman is a great bowler.So let's give credit to where it's due. Here's a man who made a TV finals on ABC,back in 1980.He also won the July High Roller for $125,000 1st place back in 1999.You aren't going to have the talent to do that,by just bowling league on wall shots or sitting on the couch drinking beer. You have to go and actually do it and it's not easy.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:38 PM
FROGLEGS

Red face I've heard some horror stories

Billytops,I've heard some horror stories about Ernie Schlegel being an idiot and difficult to bowl on the same pair of lanes with,during tournament play.I've said hi to him and when I was age 15-18,I got his autograph a few times.I could picture him being a punk to people.I've just heard some horror stories about his personality.